In line with the broader Olympic values, the city council launched the ’Celebrate 2012′ campaign with the aim of ensuring local people enjoyed a summer to remember.
Seven organisations were awarded funding to arrange activities that they would otherwise not have presented, which complemented the events organised by the council:
- Whitstable Lions created a Jubilee Beacon on Duncan Downs, Whitstable, which was lit on the 4 June.
- Animate and Create presented a series of workshops entitled Animating the Games enabling attendees to create their own animations themed on the Olympic Games and their values.
- Canterbury College and Future Creative hosted an afternoon and evening of visual arts, music workshops and dance, inspired by local young people that ran on the day the Olympic torch came to Canterbury.
- Invicta East Kent Athletics Club created a two-day of ’street athletics’ event for people of all ages to participate in.
- Showcope created Ignite! a series of dance and acrobatic shows that celebrated the history of the Olympic Games.
- The Lawn Tennis Association ran Mini Tennis, Cardio Tennis and Tennis Express sessions on the courts during the Whitstable and Herne Bay festivals.
- Beach Creative in Herne Bay in partnership with the University of Creative Arts, presented Herne Bay Histories throughout the summer where professional artists enabled participants to express and share their experience of life in Herne Bay.
In addition, six ’2012 Champions’ spent a busy summer encouraging local people to try out their cultural and sporting activities. Artist Colette Baumback encouraged people to paint outside, singer-songwriter Emily Yates presented a host of musical events, Helen Sole championed sitting volleyball, Jenny Cotterill showcased beekeeping, Matt Tithecott promoted the Triathlon and Nikki Young developed a school football team. We will shortly be announcing the Champions who have received funding to develop their enterprises on a long-term basis.
Additional information can be found on the dedicated website www.canterbury2012.co.uk and on Twitter #canterbury2012.